Ontario Online Casinos
Canada is considered to be among the most gambling countries in the world, and the good news is that the market of online and offline gambling is abundant. The bad news, though, is that the legislation is unclear, confusing, and often contradictory, especially when it comes to provinces and territories that have separate local laws. Speaking of Ontario, we have to warn that there is a monopoly held by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, OLG, and that all slots machine locations, resort casinos, and lottery are regulated by this huge monopolist.
Unfortunately, the corporation does not provide decent online casino games, and the main reason is that the country’s government did not bother to issue clear and comprehensive Ontario online gambling laws on Internet betting. As a result, online betting fans have no other choice but to reach out to online casinos operated from abroad, and accepting Canadians as real money players.
But if there are only foreign online casinos available, how to choose a decent one? No worries, we have done all the work for you. If you want the best casino in Ontario, check out the list of the best platforms welcoming Ontario players.
Best Ontario online casinos
Gambling in Ontario
Gamblers of Ontario, of course, take advantage of land based facilities, because these venues have their special atmosphere and other perks. However, the number of those who loves web gambling is much bigger. Online gambling has a bunch of benefits that no brick and mortar venue can offer. Moreover, the player can reach out to a variety of different sites, and play a variety of different casinos games, in one evening, without any additional expenses, and even without leaving their room. So, no wonder web betting sites enjoy such high popularity and demand.
Yet, some casino types are even more popular than others. Technologies, especially in the niche of entertainment, move forward literally every single day, and this is true for top online casinos in Canada, as well. The most advanced bettors start looking for:
- No Download Sites - these are platforms that provide instant access to games from the Internet browser, without the need to download the casino’s software onto device in the first place. Such sites are better than Download ones, because they are usually faster, more modern, the software is updated more frequently. The users do not need to store additional software on their devices, and there is less risk that the site will be hacked, and the official casino software will be “improved” with some malware that the unaware users will also download and install. In addition, No Download platforms usually offer games for free in the Demo mode, meaning even unregistered users can enter the site and try the games out.
- Mobile Apps - considering that the percent of using mobile devices daily grows with every year both in Ontario and everywhere in the world, the most advanced and caring sites start developing their own official mobile applications. This is done to enhance the user experience for those who wants to gamble on the go, or generally from anywhere and at any time, without the need to be chained to their PC. Most sites can be accessed from a mobile device via browser, of course. However, an official mobile app is safer, faster, more protected from lags and bugs, and also more user-friendly, because no mediating software in the form of browser is involved.
- Live Dealer Sites - Live Dealer games is the new black in the market of online gambling. There are big casino sites that offer both usual casino games and Live Dealer games, and there are software developers and platforms that specialize specifically on Live Dealer games. The trick of Live Dealer is that such casino unites the perks of land based facility and a website, but lacks disadvantages that each of this casino forms has. Live Dealer casinos allow the users to communicate with the Dealer and sometimes other players, socialize, avoid boredom, and at the same time access the place from anywhere, any time.
- VR Sites - while this sounds a bit futuristic, but Virtual Reality online casinos already exist. They can be used only when the player has the relevant equipment in the form of VR glasses or helmet, plus, a really stable Internet connection and a powerful computer are needed to provide proper quality of the experience. But VR technology takes online casino gambling to the next level. The user can “walk” around the VR casino Ontario venue, communicate to other users and dealers, choose and play different games, being totally in the presence effect.
- Bitcoin Online Casinos - digital currencies are something not many people use, but those who does enjoy additional benefits, especially when it comes to online casinos. The majority of platforms accept Bitcoins, or other digital coins, as one of the currencies among many, but there are Bitcoin-specific platforms, as well. The perks of Bitcoin gambling sites are that all transactions are reliable, totally safe, and absolutely instant. Plus, grabbing a bonus in digital currency is a very, very attractive perspective.
- High Roller Online Casinos - in terms of fiat currencies, high roller sites are in considerable demand. The point is, an overwhelming majority of online casinos accept comparatively average deposits and allow small to average bets, to avoid turning bankrupt, and playing it safe. High roller ones, on the contrary, allow high deposits and high bets under favourable conditions for the venue, but at the same time, giving the players chances of winning really jaw dropping sums.
These types of sites are the most popular among bettors who prefers to entertain in the web. Check them out if you are looking for new and exciting experience (and also for some juicy bonuses!).
How We Find The Best Online Casinos For Ontario
There are several aspects to pay attention to, when searching for a safe, reliable, and entertaining casino in Ontario that accepts local real money customers. These aspects include:
- license - the site’d better have some! Licenses by Malta, Kahnawake, UK, Gibraltar, Alderney gambling authorities and commissions are the most reliable. Licenses by Costa Rica, Curacao, Cyprus, are also popular, and while they suggest a bit more allowing requirements to the site, these are still okay. In case the platform does not provide any comprehensive info on their license, we do not take it kindly.
- games lobby - the number of games and the range of varieties should be decent, if not impressive. This depends on the age of the platform, of course, since a new casino in Ontario cannot have hundreds of games (some do, though). But when the site has been in operation for ten years and has 250 games, this is ridiculous.
- software providers - the more providers is represented on the site, and the more famous they are, the better.
- banking options - the more banking options are there, the better. Also, there should be both international and local payment processing operators. Also also, there should be instant payment options for both depositing and withdrawing (not depositing only!).
These are some of the most important aspects to assess. We as a reviewer pay utmost attention to the quality of reliability of sites we recommend.
Gambling Laws in Ontario
Offline gambling laws in Ontario were issued back in 1969, when the government legalized brick and mortar casinos. For many years after that, no additional regulations were provided but for the the Gaming Control Act of 1992, let alone specifically for online gambling when it emerged. However, in 2006, the authorities of Ontario passed Bill 152. This Bill never banned online gambling, but made online advertising of a gambling site illegal. This law made online gambling Ontario sites mostly unprofitable. Moreover, the OLG corporation became the monopolist on the market, and tool control and regulation over the niche.
Today, gambling Ontario online at overseas web casinos is not banned, while access of operators to Canadian residents is somewhat limited by the government. Most people gamble with OLG facilities, while those who likes online casino games reach out to platforms operated from overseas.
Gambling age in Ontario is 19 years.
In Ontario, no casino winnings are taxable, unless they are the only income the person gets, and plays casino games to make a living. This is true about professional poker players and other gamblers.
The Best Land-Based Casinos of Ontario
There are dozens of brick and mortar gambling houses in Ontario, so that every bettor could find something to their taste. Some of the most popular Ontario casino locations include:
- Shorelines Casino Belleville
- Caesars Windsor, Windsor
- Elements Casino Brantford
- Cornwall Casino, Cornwall
- Casino Rama Resort, Rama
From more than 40 venues, these enjoy the highest popularity.
While, if to be honest, the situation with Ontario online gambling in particular, and in Canada in general, could be better and leaves much to be desired, in terms of land based facilities, this region is a dream come true for residents of many other countries. In fact, most often citizens of US visit Ontario to enjoy betting, since in US, the laws are even more confusing and ambiguous.
Visitors from Europe also claim to enjoy the freedom of punting in Ontario, and believe that free gambling market is beneficial for economy of the country overall.
Bein a dream come true for punters, Ontario is, obviously, a place where problem gambling has to be handled properly. If gambling is legal there, and most people have access to games of chance or games of skill, plus online betting passes almost uncontrolled, problem gambling and gambling addiction Ontario are issues to be addressed and prevented.