Gambling in Queensland
Gambling is absolutely legal in Queensland, which opens a lot of opportunities for gambling fans and enthusiasts in the area. As an extra benefit, a player doesn’t have to pay a tax for a win landed out of his pocket.. No surprise that the casino audience in QLD is so numerous and extensive. Although there are only 10 land-based casinos in the state, Queensland gamblers are not limited in their gambling venues with dozens of online casino websites open to them around the clock.
List of Queensland online casinos
History of Gambling in Queensland
The history of gambling in Australia is long and exciting. This type of entertainment was originally popular among prisoners arriving at the Australian continent. Many of the convicts were avid players. They brought their preferences in entertainment and leisure activities to the green continent from British cities.
At the very beginning, the government tried to take control of the industry, but the lack of entertainment became the primary issue for the local people. Thus, at the end of the 19th century, gambling in Australia became the most common type of leisure activity. It all started with the sports betting event that took place in 1810 in Hyde Park in Sydney, and 70 years later, the first lottery has been arranged.
Here are some of the most prominent events in the history of gambling in Australia:
- Horse racing was the first type of gambling in Australia;
- Sports betting in Australia had been illegal until the 1980s, although this ban had not stopped many Australians from betting on cricket, football, boxing, and other sports. Since then, sports betting is only allowed in government sweepstakes and licensed bookmakers;
- Online sports betting was legalized in the Northern Territory in 1996 and in other states afterward;
- Until 1973, there had been a permanent ban on gaming in land-based casinos. It had been believed that casinos were particularly tricky to control, which had a devastating effect on society;
- The very first legal slots in Australia were allowed in clubs in New South Wales in 1956. This decision was made in order to receive funds from the operators to improve general state conditions.
All these events laid the beginning of the industry as it is today - well-developed, popular, and profitable.
Laws for Gambling in Queensland
In the Sunshine State, the first casino appeared in the mid-1980s. However, the trends have greatly changed since that time. A multitude of online platforms became available to a wide audience in Queensland. All of them are accessible in a click, although some legal restrictions are posed toward them.
It is the Queensland Office of Gaming Regulation who regulates the industry in the Sunshine State. The organization issues license to all casinos and racetracks in the region to protect players from scammers and illegal institutions. Although there is no massive ban on gambling in Australia, the 2001’s federal Interactive Gaming Act has banned Aussie gaming sites from operating within the country. So if you want to play at an online casino in Queensland, you are free to choose any international gambling house.
Apart from the above, there are some extra-legal statements that regulate the work of every casino in Queensland and the industry as a whole:
- Brisbane Casino Agreement Act of 1992;
- Breakwater Island Casino Agreement Act of 1984;
- Cairns Casino Agreement Act of 1993;
- Casino Control Act of 1982;
- Charitable and Non-Profit Gaming Act of 1999;
- Gaming Machine Act of 1991;
- Interactive Gambling Act of 1998;
- Jupiters Casino Agreement Act of 1983;
- Keno Act of 1996;
- Lotteries Act of 1997;
- Wagering Act of 1998.
All of these regulate different aspects from the industry - from taxing to game regulation.
Regulatory Authorities in Queensland
Gambling regulation is made in two levels in Australia. The country government does the general check and rule-setting for the entire industry, while regional authorities are responsible for the local regulation. In Queensland, it is The Queensland Office of Gaming Regulation that takes control of machine gaming, land-based casinos, lotteries, and keno games in the state. On the official website of the regulator, you will find detailed information about topical issues, legislation, statistics, and other policy matters.
ACT Gambling and Racing Commission and Liquor and Gaming South Australia agency are only several bodies responsible for the industry functioning:
- ACT Gambling and Racing Commission - supervises the work of casinos in terms of service quality and game fairness provided;
- Liquor and Gaming South Australia agency - checks if a Queensland casino owner has the documentation permitting him to sell alcohol and cigarettes to the visitors of the institution.
Taxation Laws on Gambling in Queensland
Australians are known to be extremely passionate about gambling. More than 80% of adult residents use this type of entertainment. This is the highest figure in the world. Every year, one Australian resident spends approximately $1.6 thousand more than residents of other countries. What is more, Australia is one of the first countries where gambling activities began to develop actively in far 2001.
Just like in any other large civilized country, gambling in Australia is completely legal, but there are quite strict rules. And some of them apply to the taxation specs. The taxes levied on gambling operators depend on the state where the gambling company operates. The income that the state receives from gambling is about 15% of the entire country budget, which comes to the State treasury in the form of the following taxes:
- Sales tax - applied to the business, such as sweepstakes, sale of lottery tickets, bookmaking, etc.;
- Tax on the amount a player loses in case of a no-win bet - refers to sports betting, casino, etc.;
- Net income tax - levied on income derived from online poker, investment tote;
- License fees - paid by casinos, lotteries, betting, lotto, etc. in order to obtain a license and operate legally.
Land Based casinos in Queensland
Queensland gamblers will hardly get bored with all the gambling options available to them. There are three big land-based casinos in Queensland. What is more, gaming fans can also get a portion of thrill in top Australian online casinos featuring all the best digital gaming solutions. So where gamblers can play their favorite casino games in Queensland?
Initially known as Jupiters Gold Coast, The Star casino is the oldest gambling house in Queensland. The best casino in Queensland hosts over 1,300 gaming machines along with 70 table games and a separate poker room running cash games on a daily basis. After a long and tiring day in a casino, you can also book hotels accommodation in the Jupiters casino and recharge your energies without going far in the local restaurants.
A good thing about Treasury Casino and Hotel is that it is a perfect place for gambling travelers. You can spend several days in a casino in Queensland and book cozy accommodation at an earthy price. In a casino, you will have 1,300 Aussie online pokies and all the popular card games at hand. Besides, you can take part in tournaments that a casino regularly runs. The opening hours for this casino are 24/7, which means that you can access the games you like at any time.
If you are searching for a small and cozy live Australia Queensland casino, then the Reef is a place you need. Although the casino is less spacious compared to some of the other venues in Queensland, it still has a lot to offer. Five hundred of slot machines, varied table options, a separate Keno Lounge - these are just some options for you.
Banking Options for Gambling in Queensland
The industry is well-developed in Queensland. This refers to the financial aspect of the matter as well. Australian gamblers can choose any banking method that perfectly suits them without being worried that a casino doesn’t support it. Along the most popular payment solutions are the following ones:
- Credit and debit cards - all the casino in Queensland accept Visa and Mastercard. Thus, you can use your plastic card for both deposits and cash withdrawals;
- Online wallets - online wallet holders can now benefit from reduced charges, and high transaction speeds since most QLD casinos support PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, Payoneer, and many other cloud financial services;
- Money transfers - some might think that money transfers are part of the old days, many casino players find this banking method safe and transparent. No surprise that it is still supported by many Aussie casinos;
- Cryptocurrency - it will not be a problem for you to find a Bitcoin casino or a place where you can pay in Litecoin.
Although Aussie casinos are rather flexible and accept a lot of banking solutions, we recommend checking this information before you decide to deposit funds in it. That’s the jobs worth doing.
Popular cities in Queensland for gambling
If you are leading to Queensland and do not know what city in the region to choose for your trip, then we recommend you to consider Brisbane. How many casinos are in Queensland, Brisbane? In the town, you will have plenty of worthy options and can choose the one that matches you best. Treasury Casino, Albion Park Harness Racing Club, and Eagle Farm Racecourse - these are some of the “lead-to” options. Treasury Casino will be highly appreciated by fans of traditional entertainment with a live dealer, while sports bettors will have what to do in the Albion Park Harness Racing Club.
Facts about gambling in Queensland
It may seem that you know everything about gambling in Australia; however, it isn’t so. We have prepared for you some mind-blowing facts and Queensland casino news that will definitely surprise you:
- Australians are considered the most gambling nation in the world; a study conducted in 2003 claims that every third gambler is Australian;
- 20% of all slot machines in the world are located in Australia;
- 18 of the world largest casinos are located in Australia;
- 80% of country residents are regular visitors of land-based and online casinos.
Australia is home to 20% of all poker machines in the world. At the same time, you can find half of them in the state of New South Wales;
- The launch of the first gambling site has revolutionized the industry. The first online casino was created in the 90s and has not lost popularity since then;
- Apart from the traditional casino games, the Australians invented some other enjoyable games. For example, running crabs, camel or guinea pig and others. However, despite the love of citizens, such "competitions" have remained outlawed.