Gambling in Tasmania
Citizens of Tasmania are among the lucky gamblers – they have a wide assortment of casinos and no bans restricting them from gambling entertainment. If you are at least 18 years old, then you are free to visit any land-based Tasmania casino or play your favorite games on dedicated online platforms.
Tasmanian gamblers always know where to go to play their favorite casino games. There are four big land-based gambling clubs in the state along with online casinos that all gamblers can access from the comfort of their homes. To save you time on searches of a reliable and trusted casino, we have prepared a top selection for you over here. So if you are looking for the best Australian online casino, you are free to consider the below options.
History of gambling in Tasmania
If you are asked which country adores gambling mostly, then you can freely call Australians true gambling enthusiasts. According to the latest statistics, the average Australian spends around $1,199 in casinos every year. So what has it all started from, and what is the gambling history of Australia?
It is British who brought love to gambling and card games to the green continent. Australians, who lacked entertainment and thrill, have immediately caught the wave and started to organize horse racing bets and competitions. This laid the beginning to the development of gambling in the country. Thus, in 1810, the first casino was opened; the first lottery game was arranged seven years later. With time, casinos in Australia have expanded their boundaries by becoming available online. The first internet casino was launched in 1991. Since then, a lot of Australians became regular customers of online casinos.
Laws for gambling in Tasmania
Just like in other Australian states, gambling in Tasmania is regulated in two levels - state and local. There is a range of legislative acts that regulate the Australian gambling industry on the global level. Betting Act, Casino Control Act, Interactive Gambling Act, and Race & Sports Bookmaking Act are the main legislative documents. They set rules and standards for all involved in a gambling market.
At the local level, the Tasmanian gambling market is regulated by the following legislative instruments:
- Gaming Control Act of 1993 - was issued to ensure honesty, integrity, and financial responsibility of all the participants as well as prevent criminal activity;
- TT-Line Gaming Act of 1993 - regulates the process of issuing gaming licenses, controlling gaming management agreements
When it comes to an online gambling site, operators should have all the permissive documentation, including a gambling license, to operate in the market.
Taxation laws on gambling in Tasmania
We have great news for Tasmanian gamblers. Just like in any other state in Australia, their wins are not liable to tax. However, casino Tasmania operators have to pay four different taxes in order to be able to provide their services to Australians. Here are some categories of taxes to be paid out by local operators:
- Sales tax - if a casino sells alcohol, cigarettes, or any other products to its customers, then it has to pay a sales tax;
- Tax on a loss of a player - each time a casino wins and gets money from a player, it has to pay a tax on the player’s loss;
- Net income tax - just like any other business that brings financial profit, a casino has to pay net income tax;
- License fees - it is applicable to all casinos and gambling operators. In order to operate in the industry, a casino needs to spend money on obtaining a gambling license.
Taking into account the number of taxes a casino operator should pay to the state government, it is no wonder that Australian treasury gets millions from the gambling industry.
Land-Based casinos in Tasmania
How many casinos in Tasmania? What venues should you definitely visit? There are some of the questions tourists have when they come to gamble in TAS. With four big casinos in Tasmania, you can change your gambling locations almost every day.
With such a variety of gaming options, you will never get bored playing all-the-same games. Anything from the classic one-armed bandits to the most advanced video poker machines will be a click away form you. If you do not know what casinos to visit, we recommend you to take a look at the following locations. They definitely have something special for you.
Firstly opened in February 1973, the Wrest Point Hotel Casino is one of the oldest gambling places in the area. It is a family-friendly facility with plenty of things to do. Apart from a restaurant and some entertainment venues, you will also find a casino area offering poker, traditional table games, and nearly 1,000 Australian online pokies. For your comfort, you can also book accommodation and enjoy a luxurious stay in a hotel.
Elwick Racecourse is a Thoroughbred horse-racing venue located in Glenorchy. The facility features around 110 race meetings and 210 trial days per year, so it is a must-visit place for sports bettors. What is more, the oval-shaped counterclockwise circuit hosts the Hobart Cup. So if you are a fan of horse racing and what to check your luck, you are more than welcome to visit Elwick Racecourse.
Everything from the very latest electronic gaming machines to all of your favorite table games is available in Country Club Tasmania. No matter if you want to have some fun spinning the reels of the fruity slots or want to try out your luck in the game against seasoned players, you can do both in this gambling venue. Along with an amazing hall, you will also find a casino and plenty of dining and entertaining options. Visit Country Club Tasmania - it will definitely become a great opening for you!
Banking options for gambling in Tasmania
Tasmanian gamblers have absolutely no limits and restrictions when it comes to banking options in casinos in Australia. Most popular payment solutions are accepted there; what is more, the list of available payment methods are constantly updated. Thus, cryptocurrencies have recently become available for use in many gambling houses throughout the state. So what banking options are generally accepted in a casino in Tasmania?
- Credit/ debit cards - owners of debit and credit cards can use their plastic to make a deposit and withdraw money to their banking accounts. So if you have Visa or Mastercard, you will be able to use them in any casino in Tasmania;
- Online wallets - every second Australian has an e-wallet - it is easy and safe to use. Following the trend, many casinos have started to support online wallets. Skrill, PayPal, Polly, Neteller, and POLi are widely supported by online casinos;
- Digital money - today you can make casino deposits in digital currency such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum are among the first digital units being accepted by casinos. What is more, some gambling houses pay out bonuses for each deposit made in cryptocurrency;
- Bank transfers - there are many of customers who consider this payment method old-fashioned. However, this fact doesn’t prevent some to benefit from bank transfers in casinos - they are 100% safe.
We understand that you may have your preferred payment method; that’s why a Tasmanian casino payment policy is worth checking. On top of that, some casinos offer juicy bonuses for using a particular payment option - we recommend checking this information as well.
Popular cities in Tasmania region for gambling
If you are searching for the most exciting gambling city in Tasmania, then you should lead to Hobart. In the town, you will find tens of small pubs with varied gaming machines, or alternatively, you can go to the biggest state casino - The Wrest Point Hotel Casino - to immerse you in a real atmosphere of gambling. Regardless of the option you choose, there will always be what to do for you in Hobart.
Facts about gambling in Tasmania
Australia is a real gambling phenomenon. If you didn’t know that Australians are the biggest gambling nation in the world, then the following facts will definitely surprise you:
- Around 70% of Australians have participated in some form of gambling;
- There are 198,300 electronic gaming machines in Australia;
- State tax revenue from gambling is between 4% (WA) and 13% (Victoria) of total revenue;
- Australians collectively spend over $19 billion on gambling, with $12 billion of that on pokie machines alone.
The variety of land-based casinos in Tasmania and the absence of taxes charged from casino winners - this is what makes gambling even more popular in Australia. No surprise that every second Australian is engaged in gambling once he reaches the age of 18.