Gambling in South Australia
Although there are only 10 land-based casinos in the area, you have also a real chance to try out your luck and skills in online casinos that are absolutely legal in Australia and safe to play. Here are some of the worthy options for you.
According to the affiliate disclosure, we need to inform you that this page contains affiliate links. We can receive a commission on casino deposits made by users via these links. However, we honestly rank online casinos and provide the Casinority Score based rating. Play responsibly and only in legal allowed countries!
List of South Australia Casinos
History of gambling in South Australia
The first recorded event related to the emergence of gambling on the green continent dates back to the beginning of the 19th century - 1810. It was a gathering at the races which took place in Hyde Park in Sydney. Since that time, gambling has become part of the national culture and way of living. Thus, the first lottery took place 70 years later - in 1880, and the slot machines were first set up in local pubs in the 50s of the last century. So this is a brief introduction of how the passion for gambling was born in Australians.
The love of Australians for sports betting has been inspired by the British. It is difficult to say when this hobby was born but we can claim that as far as there are sports, Australians place bets on it. If we compare online games with land-based casinos and bookmakers, the former gambling type is relatively new. However, it has already become highly popular among the residents of the green continent, and SA in particular.
The emergence of the first online casino site has revolutionized the industry. The first online casino was launched in the 90s, and since then, it has not lost its popularity. The online gambling audience is constantly growing, and its preferences are constantly changing.
As a rule, in South Australia casinos, it is roulette, card games (in particular, blackjack or baccarat) that boast of the highest popularity. The same games are preferred by online casino customers. Also, there is poker, lottery, and sports betting with a great army of fans. Apart from the above traditional gambling types, the Australian Toss - a national Australian game - has noticeable popularity in the region.
Laws for gambling in South Australia
The Analytical Center Australia Institute has published a report about the local gambling industry, identifying the scale of the gambling passion. The report of the gambling market has made the authorities worried. It has proven that the country population was very committed to pokies machines. That’s why the Senate in Australia approved a statement to establish a nationwide ban on iGaming.
According to the new statement, all casino websites and gaming rooms are banned throughout the country, and the document took effect in June 2017. Changes to the legal statement on the regulation of online gambling require that all companies wishing to operate in this market are licensed in Australia. However, no regulatory framework for online operators does not yet exist. Therefore, many operators have decided to leave the market after the statement has been approved and released.
There are many Aussi laws that regulate the business of online betting in South Australia in the area:
- Betting Act of 1964
- Casino Control Act of 2006
- Gaming Machine Act of 2004
- Interactive Gambling Act of 1998
- Race and Sports Bookmaking Act of 2001.
Although there are some nuances in the gaming legislation of SA online casinos, it has nothing to do with the opportunity of gamblers to run their favorite online games. According to the later law, online gambling houses are not permitted to market themselves as establishments for online gambling for real money. As a result, they are not legally allowed to provide this type of services to Australian gamblers; however, they can offer their services to citizens from other countries.
Regulatory authorities in South Australia
Since gambling is absolutely legal in South Australia (not to count nuances with online casinos), there is a list of regulatory bodies and institutions that check every gambling house in terms of its honesty, fair gameplay provided, and the presence of all necessary documentation for its legal functioning. To have the right to provide its services to the wide audience, every South Australia casino should be certified, have a license from the trusted regulatory body, and use licensed software. On top of that, the gambling institution should provide absolute safety of user personal data.
Some of the bodies that regulate gaming in South Australia are:
- ACT Gambling and Racing Commission - the institution double-checks the gambling conditions and game fairness, as well as payouts of events;
- Liquor and Gaming South Australia agency - the institution checks whether a casino has all the documents permitting it to sell alcohol and cigarettes to its visitors.The agency reports to the Minister for Customer Service. So if a casino doesn’t comply with the rules, it can have serious implications.
Land-Based casinos in South Australia
If you are not a fan of online gambling and prefer an atmosphere of a real land-based casino in South Australia, then you will find the entertainment in the area. Some of the best casinos are located in SA, so you should definitely go and see what they have for you. For you not to get lost, we have prepared a short review of top land-based casinos in South Australia you should definitely visit.
Adelaide casino is one of the most famous and reputable gambling houses that is open to the Australian audience. If you are a fan of all traditional casino games or want to take part in poker tournaments, then it is a perfect place for you. Apart from the gambling entertainment, there are many restaurants and clubs with live music for you. So if you question “does Adelaide have a casino?” our affirmative answer will bring your mood up.
Traditional gambling halls with dozens of gaming machines and tables - all these are the main benefits of Casino Canberra. If you are looking for a chic gambling setting, then you should definitely attend this place. In Casino Canberra, you have a chance to enjoy good music, take part in a tournament, or have dinner in the casino restaurant. Not to waste your time on the road, you can also stay in luxurious accommodation that is close to the casino zone.
It’s an all-in-one gambling destination for those who want to have everything in one place. Super cozy accommodation, health club, spa, restaurant, and a casino - all these are at your service at Lasseters Hotel Casino. Try your hand at running electronic games, make stakes with professional gamblers, and check your luck in casino tournaments.
Banking options for gambling in South Australia
Before making real-money bets in online casinos in South Australia, you ought to be aware of all the options available to you. Of course, payment methods vary from casino to casino. However, the below banking options are among the widespread ones in a live casino in Western Australia and South Australia:
- Visa/ Mastercard - almost all Australian casinos accept payments made with credit cards;
- Online wallets - if you have an account in PayPal, Skrill, Payoneer, Neteller, Trustly, etc., you will most likely to use it for payments in casinos. The main benefit of the option is that less money will be charged for the operation and your identity will remain secret;
- Bank wire transfer - this banking option is quite popular with casino visitors, despite the fact that the money transfer takes more time than in other payment methods;
- Cryptocurrency wallets - the cryptocurrency trend has also become part of the gambling industry in Australia since more and more people are starting to use cryptocurrency wallets in casinos. The main benefit of this option is that the identity of a user remains undisclosed and minimum fee is charged for a transaction.
Since different casinos support different banking methods, we strongly recommend you to check this information along with the sums charged for the operation as well as transaction processing time.
Popular cities in South Australia region for gambling
There are no legal restrictions for gambling in Australia; no surprise that casino houses open just everywhere in the area. So if you are leading to South Australia, you will have what to do there. Every town of the region hosts at least one casino and promises exclusive gambling entertainment to its visitors. Nevertheless, it is Adelaide that has the most diverse gambling map in the region. You will find 3 large casinos in the city: Adelaide Casino, Morphettville Racecourse, and Oakbank Racecourse. Visit any of these to see what quality gambling experience looks like. Who owns Adelaide Casino? This is the question that every gambler have; however, it is not important at all since this gambling institution covers a multitude of best gambling options that you should definitely try.
Have no time on the road? There is always a solution for you - play your favorite games in one of the legal online casinos. Get only the best out of gambling without worrying about the safety of your money and sensitive information.
Facts about gambling in South Australia
Have you ever heard that Australia is considered the country of real gambling enthusiasts? Then we have some facts that will surprise you:
- Every year, an average citizen of South Australia spends approximately $1,300 on gambling, and the country has a stable income from such a national hobby
- The 10% of budgets of individual states are formed from the income from the business, and this is not the limit
- According to expectations of industry specialists, revenues of gambling business operators in Australia will exceed $6 billion by the end of 2020
- South Australia currently takes the second position of all countries worldwide in terms of total taxation revenue derived from gambling taxes at 13.5 percent
- The gambling industry contributes $1.7 million, and the State provides $3.9 million for gambling improvement.
Taking into account the amount of money the industry brings to the state, there is no surprise that this business is legal and supported by the government.