Gambling in Capital Territory
There are endless opportunities for gamblers in Australia. The absence of legal restrictions, a wide assortment of gaming venues, and national passion for gambling – this is what makes the country a perfect gambling destination. Even if you have no chance to come to Australia, you can always access of Australian online casino and get a portion of thrill from the comfort of your home. Come to the Australian Capital Territory to play in one of the biggest gaming houses in the world – Casino Canberra. How many casinos are there in Capital Territory? Where should you lead to when in the state? We will answer all your questions.
Gambling in the Australian Capital Territory is fun. Although there is no such a wide diversity of land-based gaming houses as in Las Vegas. All those who have reached the age of 18 can freely access online casinos and play their favorite games on the Internet. In case you have no idea of what gaming venue to choose, we are ready to assist with the choice. Find below a selection of top online venues that truly deserve your attention.
According to the affiliate disclosure, we need to inform you that this page contains affiliate links. We can receive a commission on casino deposits made by users via these links. However, we honestly rank online casinos and provide the Casinority Score based rating. Play responsibly and only in legal allowed countries!
LIst of Capital Territory casinos
History of gambling in Capital Territory
Gambling in Australia has a long history. It all started with British who have brought their love to gambling and card games to the green continent. Lacking fun and entertainment, Australians have supported the passion for gambling and have started to organize the events they could bet on.
Thus, the first sports betting event took place in 1810 in Hyde Park in Sydney, with hundreds of Australians placing bets on their favorite teams and game outcome. Seventy years later, the first lottery was arranged. These events laid the beginning to the development of the industry.
Nowadays, Australia is considered to be a country whose citizens are mostly passionate about betting. An average Australian spends around $1,199 in casinos every year participating in different forms of gambling. In total, the country population spends more than $19 billion on betting, with $12 billion deposited on pokie machines alone.
Laws for gambling in Capital Territory
Although there are no strict restrictions to casino in Capital Territory, the industry is still thoroughly controlled by state and territory government entities. All forms of gaming are legally allowed on the green continent. The only exception in this regard is online gaming. Online gaming houses are not allowed to advertise themselves and provide real-money services to the Australian Capital Territory residents, according to The Interactive Gambling Act (2001).
Some other legislative acts that regulate the industry include:
- ACTTAB Limited Act;
- Casino Control Act;
- Interactive Gambling Act;
- Lotteries Act;
- Race & Sports Bookmaking Act;
- Racing Act.
What is more, there are also local legislation acts that regulate dedicated country regions.
Regulatory authorities in Australian Capital Territory
The industry in Australia is regulated at two different levels. From one side, there are State authorities that take control of the industry at a global level. In turn, Territory regulatory bodies supervise the local market to ensure all its participants have betting licenses and comply with the industry rules. ACT Gambling and Racing Commission regulates Australian Capital Territory. The government agency issues licenses, controls the operation of a casino in Capital Territory (Australia), and makes sure all betting operators pay all taxes to the government.
Other Territory authorities that regulate the industry locally are:
- NSW - New South Wales Office of Liquor, Gaming, and Racing;
- NA - Licensing Commission;
- QLD - Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation;
- SA - Independent Gambling Authority;
- TAS - Tasmanian Gaming Commission;
- Vic - Victorian Commission for Gambling & Liquor Regulation;
- WA - Department of Racing, Gaming & Liquor.
In case a casino doesn’t comply with the general rules or doesn’t have a license, it will be immediately closed, and its owner will be sued.
Taxation laws on gambling in Capital Territory
Every year, the Australian government receives about 15% of the entire country budget in the form of taxes for their jobs. Interestingly, it is only casino income that is liable to tax; casino players do not have to pay a tax to the treasury. In order to operate in the industry, a casino has to pay sales and net income tax, purchase a license, and pay for players’ loses.
The above taxes are applicable to establishments in the following cases:
- Sales tax - a casino has to pay tax for its profits derived from the sale of alcohol, cigarettes, or any other products being sold in a gaming establishment;
- Tax in players’ loses - every time a player loses money when playing some games, a casino should be a tax;
- Net income tax - just like in any other industry, casinos should pay a net income tax on all the profits derived from the business;
- A license - it is illegal to operate on the Australian market without a license, so every casino needs to purchase it.
Land-Based casinos in Capital Territory
Looking to come to AU? We have great news for you! There are 2 full-scale casinos on the Capital Territory of Australia, so you will definitely know what to do and where to go. In case you do not want to spend your time on searching and testing out all the land-based clubs, then you can have a quick look at the review we have for you over here. Where is casino Capital Territory? Find this information further in the post.
The main emphasis of the Casino Canberra is made on table games and poker. So if it is a betting type you prefer, so you will definitely adore this place. Canberra is an intimate, trendy, and contemporary gaming club that includes a cozy restaurant and nightclub. There are also off-site accommodations nearby Crowne Plaza for travelers. Another good thing about this sports betting venue is that its opening hours are quite flexible.
Horse racing is one of the most popular sports in Australia, so it’s no wonder that there are many horse racing parks throughout the country. And Thoroughbred Park is one of them. You will definitely love this pace. There is plenty of excitement options both on and off the track on race day. You can always relax in the comfort of the Winning Post Bar or spend time with your friends at one of the many picnic tables located trackside.
Banking options for gambling in Capital Territory
Australian casinos support many different banking methods, so gamblers have plenty of options to choose from. The list is constantly extended since new payment solutions are introduced almost every month. Let’s take a look at the widely supported banking options in AU casinos:
- Credit/ debit cards - if you have a banking card, you can freely use it in any casino in Australia. It is possible to make deposits with your Visa/ Mastercard and withdraw winnings to your plastic. As a rule, the transaction operation time is 3-5 working days, and a commission depends on the amount being processed;
- Online wallets - e-wallets are highly popular among the community of betting in Capital Territory. They are fast, reliable, and safe. That’s why every second casino supports Skrill, PayPal, Neteller, Poli, etc.;
- Bank transfers - you can easily find a casino supporting bank transfers. Although it is considered an old-fashioned payment solution, it has proven to be a secure one;
- Cryptocurrency - you can today invest your Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum assets in the gameplay session. Australian casinos are starting to accept them widely.
To get the maximum out of playing in Australian casinos, we recommend checking their banking policy attentively. Thus, you can find some interesting information about reduced charges and bonuses associated with the use of a particular payment option.
Popular cities in Capital Territory
If you are deciding on where to go for casino entertainment in Australia, we can advise you several really great locations and cities so that you could plan your trip accordingly.
- Melbourne - it is a “must-visit” town with tens of unique venues, and The Crown Casino is one of these. It is the best online casino Australia with a great selection of pokies, table games, and an authentic atmosphere;
- Sydney - if you will be close to Sydney, you should definitely visit the Star Casino, which is a unique concentration of casino games. Spend a night in a company of real gaming pro and make several stakes in a high rollers lounge;
- Perth - the town is famous for its Crown Casino, which includes 3 hotels, convention center, 3 ballrooms, nightclub, theatre, and 32 restaurant and bars.
Facts about gambling in Capital Territory
Betting is a unique industry in Australia. It is associated with national passion, chic casinos, and billions of dollars landing into the State treasury. Here are some interesting facts for you:
- 80% of Australians are regular visitors of land-based and online casinos;
- There are almost 200,000 electronic gaming machines in Australia;
- Australians spend over $19 billion on playing their favorite games, with $12 billion of that on video poker machines alone.
- The biggest jackpot to be won in a local casino pub is $10,000.
With such statistics, it is no wonder why Australians are considered to be one of the happiest nations in the world.